On July 3, 1938, on the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the Eternal Peace Light Memorial on Oak Hill. Twenty-five years earlier, on this site, thousands of Civil War veterans, Union and Confederate, shook hands as Woodrow Wilson declared, “the war forgotten.” The memorial was designed by Paul Philippe Cret (1876 – 1945). The sculpture of 2 women, on the front of the tower, representing North and South led by an eagle on the ground is by Lee Lawrie.
Check out these links to further research the Eternal Peace Light Memorial:
Gettysburg Daily, Jan. 1, 2009 article on the 1938 Dedication of the Eternal Peace Light Memorial.
Gettysburg Daily, Video of Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Ed Guy at the Eternal Peace Light Memorial discussing Lee Lawrie’s style evolution. You will need to page down to Video #16.
The Eternal Peace Light Memorial is also considered a miniature or souvenir building and is collected as such. Visit The Building Collector website to see these bookends again and view other Gettysburg souvenir buildings.