RSS

Tag Archives: War

Iwo Jima Bookends

The United States Marine Corps War Memorial was dedicated on November 10, 1954, the 179th anniversary of the US Marine Corps. A monument “In honor and in memory of the men of the United States Marine Corps who have given their lives to their country since November 10, 1775”.

United State Marine Corps Memorial

The monument, sculpted by Felix W. de Weldon (Navy), depicts the famous photo by Joe Rosenthal of the unposed flag raising on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima.

In 1945 American troops were fighting to capture the Pacific island of Iwo JIma.  As the battle progressed, the troops raised American flags over captured Japanese positions. On February 23, 1945, Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal captured an unposed flag raising on Mt Suribachi. A Pulitzer prize photo that became one of the most recognizable war photos of all time and forever linked with the US Marines.

These Iwo Jima bookends depict the photograph in low relief.

Iwo Jima Scene.  Grey metal. Height 6.5 inches. Circa 1970s.  Marked: ALFA Display Co. N.Y.

Follow this link to the National Park Service page that tells the story of the monument and the photo: United States Marine Corps War Memorial.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on January 26, 2018 in Art Styles, Mid-Century, Monument

 

Tags: , , ,

ETERNAL LIGHT PEACE MEMORIAL Bookends

ETERNAL LIGHT PEACE MEMORIAL Bookends.  4 3/4 inches high, 5 1/4 inches wide, weighs 3 1/4 lbs. Iron. Maker unknown.  “Eternal Light Peace Memorial” impressed in base.

ETERNAL LIGHT PEACE MEMORIAL Bookends. 4 3/4 inches high, 5 1/4 inches wide, each weighs 3 1/4 lbs. Iron. Maker unknown. “Eternal Light Peace Memorial” impressed in base.

On July 3, 1938, on the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the Eternal Peace Light Memorial on Oak Hill.  Twenty-five years earlier, on this site, thousands of Civil War veterans, Union and Confederate, shook hands as Woodrow Wilson declared, “the war forgotten.”  The memorial was designed by Paul Philippe Cret (1876 – 1945). The sculpture of 2 women, on the front of the tower, representing North and South led by an eagle on the ground is by Lee Lawrie.

Check out these links to further research the Eternal Peace Light Memorial:

Gettysburg Daily, Jan. 1, 2009 article on the 1938 Dedication of the Eternal Peace Light Memorial.

Gettysburg Daily, Video of Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Ed Guy at the Eternal Peace Light Memorial discussing Lee Lawrie’s style evolution.  You will need to page down to Video #16.

The Eternal Peace Light Memorial is also considered a miniature or souvenir building and is collected as such. Visit The Building Collector website to see these bookends again and view other Gettysburg souvenir buildings.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on June 30, 2013 in Art Styles, Buildings

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

 
%d bloggers like this: